This has been a life-changing year. I’ve not become famous or won the lottery, but I’ve become more settled in my own skin; more comfortable with being myself and more happy with who I am. I’ve got engaged and I’ve spent the last half of the year planning my wedding, I’ve been on like, four holidays and I’ve spent time focusing on spending time with my loved ones and working on my blog, ready to take it into 2016.
There have been a few hiccups (when aren’t there?) but basically this year has been a breeze. 2014 was a really tough year for me and I went into 2015 feeling a little vulnerable and a little wounded, but 2015 has given me back any strength I lost. Over the year I have grown stronger, my relationships have improved, I’ve got a better hold on my anxiety and I’m feeling pretty damn good. I enjoy my own company and I feel excited about life again.
I should probably add I’m watching the Downton Abbey finale as I am typing this so I am feeling a bit emosh. OH GOD EDITH. Tearing up right now. Anyway, here are 15 things I learnt in 2015.
- You, and you alone are responsible for your feelings. No one else. You can choose not to be offended, or not to care what someone thinks. Fuck ’em.
- Also, some people will let you down but if you know you’ve not done anything wrong, shrug it off and carry on with your life. They’re the ones who will feel bad.
- There’s nothing better than a night in with a blanket, a great TV show, your favourite takeaway and your loved one.
- If you have a talent or a hobby you enjoy, make time for it. It makes everything else bearable.
- Save money to travel and to buy experiences on your travels.
- Other people have no idea what you’re thinking, and you have no idea what they are thinking.
- And… just because you think it, it doesn’t mean it’s true.
- Everyone else is too busy thinking about themselves to care about that stupid thing you said this morning.
- Running gets easier the more you do it. Who knew?
- There will be many, many fashion trends that look amazing in the magazines but ridiculous on you when you pop to Boots on a Sunday morning.
- Trust your instincts. If you hate your job, you think your boyfriend is a piece of shit, or you really want a doughnut, then trust your gut. It’s right like 99% of the time and I swear by it now.
- No drama = lots of happiness and chill.
- EVERYONE uses editing apps like Instagram to make their selfies look oh-so-perfect. Some of those selfies were taken 40 times before one was chosen. Always take a perfect selfie with a pinch of salt; no one looks like that all the time. Except maybe Beyonce.
- The people around you can really make a difference to your quality of life. Those ‘mates’ who constantly put you down and make you feel miserable? Ditch them. You’re better off alone than unhappy.
- Embrace your weirdness, even if it means being known as ‘the girl who reads about serial killers’. You got this.