#GirlBoss Careers: How To Run Your Own Bar

how to run your own bar

Ever dreamed of running your own pub or bar? Many of us have, but are put off by the worry of not knowing
where to start, especially when it comes to the regulations surrounding alcohol licencing. For this careers post, I’ve worked with business gas installation experts, Flogas, untangle the matter and make applying for an alcohol
licence easy!

Covering the basics

To sell alcohol in England or Wales, you need a licence from the licensing authority, which is normally your local council. This legislation is overseen by the Home Office, and is defined is as follows:

  1. Businesses that sell or supply alcohol on a permanent basis, such as pubs, need to apply for a premises licence.
  2. Those who plan to authorise the sale of alcohol must apply for a personal licence, alongside the premises licence, if they are also the owner of the business in that premises. With the fee, you need to send in an application form too.

As well as the local authority, you will also have to send your application to the police and other responsible authorities; these responsible authorities can include:

  • Local fire and rescue
  • The primary care trust (PCT) or local health board (LHB)
  • Environmental health authority
  • Planning authority
  • Local trading standards

Any other licensing authority in whose area part of the premises is located.

Selling on premises

You’ll need a premises licence to sell alcohol in a vehicle, vessel, or moveable structure. To successfully apply for this licence, you will be asked a series of questions including the following:

  • General information regarding the premises such as the address.
  • Your details as an applicant.
  • The operating schedule, including the date you want the licence to start from on the premises.
  • You should indicate what licensable activities you wish to carry out by ticking the appropriate boxes on the form. You should also indicate what days and times you want the licence to be active from. This also includes the provision of regulated entertainment, such as indoor sporting events, live music and recorded music.
  • Under the new licensing laws, you should also stipulate who you wish to be the designated
    premises supervisor (DPS).
  • The opening hours of your premises.
  • How you intend to promote the four key licensing objectives, which are: the prevention of crime
    and disorder, public safety, the prevention of public nuisance, the protection of children from
  • The planning of the premises and any advertising on or around the premises that you wish to

Premises supervisor

Your general staff won’t need a personal licence, but the premises supervisor does. If you are going to be the owner of the premises licence, then you would also apply to be the personal licence holder if the pub was your own business. Furthermore, anyone who works in a pub should be authorised to do so by the personal licence holder.
Remember that everyone running or managing the pub for you needs to be capable of doing so in a professional way.

Now you know which licences you need and how to apply for them, it’s time to get started! Good luck
with your new venture!